Fletching is a valuable skill in Old School RuneScape that allows players to craft their own arrows, bolts, and bows. Whether you're an archer looking to create your ammunition or a budding entrepreneur seeking to profit from selling fletched items, this comprehensive guide will walk you through the ins and outs of Fletching.
What is Fletching?
Fletching is a skill that enables players to create ranged weapons such as bows, crossbows, and ammunition like arrows and bolts. By fletching these items, players can save money on supplies and even make a profit by selling them to other players.
To begin your fletching journey, you'll need a few essential items:
- Logs: Various types of logs are used to craft different fletching items. As a beginner, start with regular logs obtained from trees like normal trees or oak trees.
- Knife: A knife is necessary for shaping the logs into fletching items.
- Feathers: Feathers are used to create arrows. You can obtain feathers by killing chickens or purchasing them from shops.
- Start by finding a bank and withdrawing your logs and a knife.
- Use your knife on the logs and select the desired fletching item you want to create.
- Repeat the process until you have crafted the desired number of items.
To create arrow tips, you'll need metal bars to smelt into arrowheads. The most common choices for beginners are bronze and iron arrowheads. Here's how to do it:
- Smelt the metal bars using a furnace. Bronze bars require level 1 Smithing, while iron bars need level 15.
- Once you have your arrowheads, use a feather on them to create arrows.
Shortbows and Longbows
Shortbows and longbows are the staple ranged weapons in Old School RuneScape. Follow these steps to craft them:
- Use your knife on the logs and select "shortbow" or "longbow."
- Choose the desired type of log, such as regular logs or oak logs.
- Keep crafting bows until you reach your desired Fletching level.
Here are some tips to efficiently train your Fletching skill:
- Start by crafting arrow shafts using logs, as they provide fast experience. You can make approximately 500 arrow shafts per hour, gaining around 5,000 experience points (XP).
- Once you reach level 10, start fletching shortbows for increased XP rates. Crafting approximately 600 shortbows per hour yields about 8,400 XP.
- As you progress, unlock new bow types and ammunition to continue leveling up your Fletching skill.
Making Money with Fletching
Fletching offers excellent opportunities to earn money in Old School RuneScape. Here are a couple of methods:
- Create headless arrows by combining arrow shafts with feathers. Headless arrows are used to create different types of arrows and can be sold for profit.
- Craft bows and crossbows, which can be sold to other players or to the Grand Exchange for a decent profit.
Remember, the higher your Fletching level, the more valuable items you can create, leading to increased profits.
Fletching is a rewarding skill in Old School RuneScape that grants players the ability to create their own ranged weapons and ammunition. By following this comprehensive guide, you'll be well-equipped to embark on your fletching journey. Start by gathering the necessary items, master the basics of fletching, and consider training tips and money-making methods along the way. Happy fletching!
*Note: Experience rates and item requirements mentioned above are approximate values and may vary depending on your gameplay style and other factors.