Welcome to our comprehensive F2P fishing guide for Old School RuneScape (OSRS). Fishing is a relaxing and rewarding skill that allows you to catch a variety of fish, earn experience points (XP), and even make some gold! In this guide, we will cover everything you need to know to get started with fishing in the free-to-play version of the game.
To begin your fishing journey, you only need a few basic items:
- Fishing Rod: You can obtain a fishing rod for free from various fishing shops, such as Gerrant's Fishy Business in Port Sarim.
- Bait: Some fish species require bait to catch. For now, we'll focus on fishing without bait, so you won't need any at the start.
In the free-to-play area of OSRS, you have several fishing spots available. Here are some popular locations:
- Lumbridge Swamp: Located south of Lumbridge Castle, the swamp offers various fishing spots where you can catch shrimps and small fish like anchovies.
- Draynor Village: The fishing spot east of the bank allows you to catch sardines and herring.
- Barbarian Village: Head north of Falador until you reach Barbarian Village. There, you can fish trout and salmon.
Basic Fishing Techniques
Now that you have your fishing rod and have found a fishing spot, it's time to start catching fish! Follow these simple steps:
- Step 1: Right-click on the fishing spot and select "Net" or "Lure" option, depending on the type of fish you want to catch.
- Step 2: A fishing animation will start, and you'll have to wait until you catch a fish.
- Step 3: When you catch a fish, it will automatically be added to your inventory.
Fishing XP Rates
As you progress in fishing, your XP rates will vary depending on the fish you catch. Here are the approximate XP rates per hour for different fish in F2P OSRS:
- Shrimps: Around 5,000 XP per hour
- Sardines: Approximately 10,000 XP per hour
- Anchovies: About 15,000 XP per hour
- Herring: Roughly 20,000 XP per hour
- Trout: Around 25,000 XP per hour
- Salmon: Approximately 30,000 XP per hour
Please note that these rates can vary based on your fishing level and other factors.
Leveling Up and Unlocking New Fish
As you gain more fishing XP, your fishing level will increase. With higher levels, you'll unlock new types of fish to catch. Here are some notable milestones:
- At level 5 Fishing, you can catch Sardines and Herring.
- Reaching level 20 Fishing unlocks the ability to catch Trout.
- Once you achieve level 30 Fishing, you can catch Salmon.
Remember to always check the Fishing skill guide in-game for a complete list of fish species and their requirements.
Making Money with Fishing
Fishing can also be a profitable skill in OSRS. Some fish, like trout and salmon, can be sold for gold at the Grand Exchange or to other players. Additionally, you may find valuable items while fishing, such as clue scrolls, which can fetch a good price.
Congratulations! You now have a solid understanding of fishing in the free-to-play version of Old School RuneScape. Remember to experiment, explore other fishing spots, and continue leveling up your fishing skill.
Happy fishing and enjoy your adventures in Gielinor!
Note: This guide focuses specifically on the F2P fishing content in OSRS. If you're a member (P2P), there are many more fish species, locations, and activities available to you.
[Author's Note: This article is written at a third-grade reading level to ensure accessibility for readers of all ages and skill levels.]